Tuesday, July 17, 2007

They gave it to M People. Wankers.

So, the announcement has been made. Not too bad, I suppose.

Arctic Monkeys - 'Favourite Worst Nightmare' - Great record. Far superior to the debut, and all the more brilliant simply for having 'Fluorescent Adolescent' on it.'
Klaxons - 'Myths Of The Near Future' - Can't say I've played it much. Couple of great singles, but a very loud master makes for tough listening.
Amy Winehouse - 'Back To Black' - A near-perfect soul record. Sounds like it's straight out of the sixties. Worth tracking down on vinyl too.
Maps - 'We Can Create' - My joint favourite album of the year so far. Lush, electronic and understated. People have compared it to Spiritualized but I think that does it a disservice.
The View - 'Hats Off To The Buskers' - Just piss off now, won't you? Only redeeming feature is that they're not The Twang.
Jamie T - 'Panic Prevention' - Doesn't matter if you get Bob Hoskins in your video; if you're bobbins, you're bobbins. Has very occasional moments where I think I should give him another try, only for him to be disappointing yet again.
Dizzee Rascal - 'Maths & English' - Can't say I've even bothered to hear this. Not for me if past form's anything to go on. I can appreciate why people like him, mind you.
Bat For Lashes - 'Fur And Gold' - Decent enough NME-friendly fare, but hardly in the top-drawer of the year.
Young Knives - 'Voices of Animals And Men' - An overlooked work of splendour. While not quite as brilliant as 'Weekends and Bleak Days (Hot Summer)' had shown they could be, it's still a remarkably assured debut, and worthy of your time.
Fionn Regan - 'The End Of History' - A wonderful, lilting acoustic thing that has straddled generations and melted hearts all around the world.
New Young Pony Club - 'Fantastic Playroom' - The only thing I have to say at this point in that I was given an I Heart NYPC badge in my local indie emporium a little while back. I put in on the side and then it fell on the floor. How exciting.
Basquiat Strings - 'Basquiat Strings' - Ah-ha! The token 'random' entry that no sod's ever heard of. Have you? If so, tell me something about it.

Winehouse and The View are most likely, in my book. Naturally I'd love Maps to have it, but then there's the risk of the Mercury curse. Where was 'The Good, The Bad & The Queen' album, by the way? Not that I imagine any of the musicians involved can give two shits one way or the other.
All we have to do now is battle the suspense between now and the results being announced in September. I'm not sure I'll be able to hold all of my emotions in.

No comments: