Saturday, July 28, 2007

Goo Goo

So, that new Spoon album's a bit good, isn't it? I have to confess that this was one of my 'not heard a note of this, or indeed anything they've ever done' purchases. The splendid people over at a music messageboard I frequent have been raving about it, and I finally decided to pick it up earlier this week. Sadly, my local indie didn't have it in stock, but it did give me a chance to make a long-distance purchase from my old stomping ground, Spillers in Cardiff. Anyway, this record is much more accessible and feel-good than I was expecting.
That old saying, 'you can't judge a book by its cover' also applies to records. My first experience of Spoon was their 'Gimme Fiction' album, of which all I know is the cover. That cover made me think it wasn't for me, and, because I'm an idiot, I didn't pursue it any further, despite critical approval. I'm actually now quite surprised by how I managed to find out nothing about the band's music between then and me finally acquiring 'Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga' this week. It confirms for me, once again, that it's impossible to ever feel like you're on top of 'new music' as an entity, and also that I can be a picky and stubborn fucker when I want to be. Anyway, I'm enlightened now, and I'm very glad to be. Worth grabbing it while it has a bonus disc very neatly tucked into the back of the digipak sleeve.
In other news... I watched 'Damon and Jamie's Excellent Adventure' thanks to the quite marvellous www.blurcast.tv that I believe I've waffled on about in the past. It's the story of how Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlett put together 'Monkey - Journey To The West' a truly unique opera. It's a genuinely engaging piece of telly, and worthy of note because of the Albarn musical sketches that are littered throughout. Watching Damon make up a vocal melody on the spot is astonishing, and it sent me back to the track on the 'Help: A Day In The Life' album that he submitted as Gorillaz, entitled 'Hong Kong.' If you've not had the pleasure yet, head over to the War Child music page at 7 Digital and spend the best quid you'll part with all weekend.

No comments: