Wednesday, August 01, 2007

What time's the bus come?

In brief, today.
I think I was unnecessarily nasty about the Arctic Monkeys when they first arrived on the music scene. I think the hype sent me running in the opposite direction. However, any band that can come up with lyrics like "this house is a circus, berserk as fuck" and "there's only music so that there's new ringtones" actually deserves a little place in my world. Playing, as I am, both albums back to back emphasises the fact that I actually love a large number of these tunes. Since getting the debut on vinyl, I've learnt to appreciate its, well, 'oomph' a little more. I bought 'Favourite Worst Nightmare' on vinyl from the off and have been pretty fond since day one. This may sound a little silly, but this lot are definitely a vinyl band.
Other quick things; the Patrick Humphries book on Tom Waits is excellent. I had a very pleasant afternoon in the back garden listening to the Maps album and reading this fine text on the marvellous man himself. Dvd.co.uk are doing a cheap, free-postage deal on it. Other bookshops are available.
That'll do for now. Hope all's well with you.

No comments: