Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Quite spacious at the moment

Ok, so it's very 2005, but I spent longer than I meant to setting up a Myspace page for the blog yesterday. I mention lots of different bands on this blog and increasingly it tends to be things that aren't perhaps as well known as they deserve to be. To make it easy for the loyal readers of this blog to have a listen to the stuff I'm talking about, the Myspace page will try to link to as many of these bands in the 'friends' section, thus allowing you to listen to whatever they've got on their Myspace player. Simple, eh? Anyway, don't expect it to look particularly special - that's not the point. (Plus, I'm not entirely sure how to do that anyway) It's there for the tunes. Little, clickable link on the top right of the site.

A few things to talk about today. First up, a single that was released, seemingly via download only (I know, the site is called Vinyl Junkies, but give me a break) today by Ryan Mullin. The track is called 'The Splint', on Grooveland Records. I've seen it described on the interweb as tech-house, whatsoever the flying fuck that means, but to me it's just very, very good. I have a soft spot for imaginative electronic music of whatever kind. That Glow album is still wonderful, by the way. Anyhoo, 'The Splint' can be heard in full over the Ryan's Myspace and there are many links to allow you to buy the track for varying prices and in varying qualities, from 192kbps MP3 up to WAV. Treat yourself.

Secondly, Robin Allender and The Allender Band. Technically two different acts, although you can probably guess what the common factor is. I defy anyone to listen to the start of 'Green Wound' and feel nothing. It's not possible. That noodly little guitar thing (so, so technical, as always) is just beautiful and the way the band gradually seem to arrive in the background sets you up for a rather splendid piece of music. It's one of the best tracks I've heard all year. Thankfully, it's not a one-off. The accompanying 'In The Grip Of Light' EP is all of the same standard. You can also pick up Robin's solo album from last year. There is some overlap with the material, but it's a worthy purchase. Both CDs come in exceptionally fun card boxes with fold-down flaps and black CDs. You can order straight from the Dreamboat Records site. The less said about the name of Robin's previous band, the better.

Here's the original, stripped down version of 'Green Wound' by Robin. Full version, oddly enough, can be heard on his Myspace.

Finally, as the whole point of setting up the Myspace page is to tie together recommended tunes and to hunt out other good stuff, I should give a mention to the first act to request friendship from the mighty bastion of musical mutterings that is Vinyl Junkies. The honour goes to Derby band, Leon. Nope, I'd never heard of them either. Now, they're not doing anything particularly original and I don't imagine anyone's ever heard one of their records and thought, "Christ! The future of music is here," but they do melodic indie-rock rather well and considerably better than plenty of bands that are selling records these days. 'Hope' sounds like contemplative Feeder and 'Be There' sounds immediately familiar - a bit like a tidied up and polished Super Furries singalong in the chorus.

Oh, and while I think of it, here's the album cover for the quite magnificent Glow album, 'I, Yeah!'

No reason, other than the fact that it gives me another chance to point out how wonderful it is. I promise you, I'm not being bribed to mention it. Like this blog will ever be that important, anyway! Still, like I said yesterday, it's only a fiver!

I'm hoping to tell you a little bit about Man Without Country tomorrow, but I'm waiting on some demo tracks from them. Worth the wait, I assure you.

No comments: