Thursday, September 06, 2007

Really I need a rapper to just talk bollocks over the start of this, and then I'll have loads of readers

Sitting here, air-drumming along to 'A Certain Trigger' as I am, I am reminded of just why I love music so much, and spend so much of my hard-earned cash upon it. It really can pick you up, give you a massive great shake and set you on your feet again.
Whilst purchasing a few bits and bobs in Morrisons earlier, I was drawn to their 'Chart CDs for £7' offer. Naturally, the choice isn't exactly broad, and I enjoyed smirking at the big pile of unloved Athlete albums, but I was reminded that I'd toyed with picking up the Rihanna album a few weeks back. 'Umbrella' started off as something I found quite annoying - quite possibly simply because lots of people like it, but it grew and grew until I finally realised that it's a piece of perfect pop. Factor in the new single, 'Shut Up and Drive' and I was sold. Turns out that the album is really good record, and that the pop masterclass is present for pretty much the duration. I'm not ashamed to admit my liking for pop - the Girls Aloud and Sugababes singles collections are both fantastic sets - but I have to confess that I didn't imagine a few months back that I'd be enjoying a Rihanna album quite so much.
I also didn't imagine I'd be particularly impressed by an issue of Q magazine, but lo-and-behold, the new 'Songwriting issue' is a great record. Interviews with Stipey, Bjork, Rufus Wainwright and Nick Cave amongst many others and Cash For Questions is Girls Aloud. The Editor's note suggests it'll be normal, lists-r-us fodder next month. They do have a sense of humour, mind. On the letters page, someone's written in to point out that there's a Scandinavian magazine called Q. The Q response is, "Do they do lists?"

3 comments:

steve hughes said...

Have you ever been to Andy's records(not the chain) in Aberystwyth-woth a visit.Since the Mercury I've been listening to Bat for Lashes who I find a bit Bjork like but none the worse for that and the Basquiat Strings who were fantastic.
Cheers
Steve in Monmouth

Ben Daubney said...

There's a great indie here in Reading, and a number of excellent ones up in Glasgow. How do I send details?

Gareth said...

Steve - thought Bat For Lashes was brilliant on the Mercury show, and the album is a delight. Agreed on the Bjork comparison - earlier Bjork, mind. No nasal note burping on this one. Never been to Andy's; it's a fair way for me, but I'll do a little digging on the net and keep it in mind should I be in the area.

Ben - gaz@vinyljunkies.org.uk should do it. Look forward to receiving the info.