Saturday, September 08, 2007

It was the first game of the Rugby World Cup. Did you really expect me to be here?

The Bat For Lashes album was waiting for me when I got in yesterday and I already feel a little slack for not having explored it sooner. The performance at the Mercury awards was fantastic, almost bettering the quite sublime offering from Maps, and led to an almost immediate purchase from the very reasonable, Action Records. Having shouted myself hoarse supporting the Argentine underdogs last night I've finally had a chance to listen to it this morning and it's actually better and more consistent than I'd hoped it would be. Something about the fragile, haunting live track made me suspect that such aural claustrophobia wouldn't translate to a full album, but it never relents.
I was rather delighted to be reminded of Mazzy Star by 'Seal Jubilee', while the inevitable Bjork comparisons are no less than accurate, although it's definitely early Bjork. Not sure when I last listened to 'Volta', but I feel like it's something I have to mentally prepare myself for. I'm a sucker for the piano, and similar more bizarrely named instruments on records, and 'Fur and Gold' has plenty of it. I can same with some certainty that this is one that will be played regularly here, and for once the Mercury has done something good. Obviously it still gave the award to The Klaxons, to ensure that people aren't too satisfied, but a C+ for effort.
The good folk at Norm have come good on the vinyl of 'BFI' by The Dragons, finally. There's a great deal of muttering going on about this record on the interweb. A surf-psych/funk/soul record recorded 37 years ago and then abandoned due to the lack of 'a hit' is the official line from Ninja Tune. Seems perfectly plausible to me, but certain know-it-alls are claiming that it sounds too 'clean' to have been made back then. Who knows, eh? All I can say for certain is that it sounds great and is worth ten of your earth pounds.
Finally, I've just finished playing the new Misty's Big Adventure 7". Oh, how I love this band. 'I Can't Bring The Time Back' is a slightly less 'kitchen-sink' pop nugget, but the real gem is on the flipside. 'Serious Thing' is a pounding little beast of a tune that is the most ballsy thing they've done to date. Well worth hunting down on Club Fandango records.
Hmmm. Time for more rugby methinks.

No comments: