Saturday, May 17, 2008

Just splendid

I was doing my regular Saturday morning trawl of the music channels when I happened upon the video for Mark Ronson's not unenjoyable take on Radiohead's 'Just'. I'm well aware that this isn't exactly cutting edge reportage here, but you get what you pay for. Anyway, this video is only tremendously funny if you're familiar with the original. Which is here:

Lovely stuff. But what was he doing? Ah, we'll never know. Incidentally, all of Radiohead's videos from the EMI days will be available on DVD from June 2nd.

Anyhoo, back to the point of this post. Mark Ronson's done his own take on 'Just', originally for the 'Exit Music' project that offered covers of Radiohead tracks by a variety of artists, with some bloke called Alex Greenwald on vocals. It's a more upbeat take on the original, as you might imagine, although it seems strangely plausible. I know it's very much the done thing to automatically hate Ronson at the moment, but I don't have any problem in admitting that I actually rather like his 'Version' album.

'Just' was released as a single earlier this year, and the quite fabulous video that accompanied it can be seen here. Not allowed to embed it, apparently.

No comments: