Sunday, May 20, 2007

Hear This...

Short but sweet today, as I'm keen to get back to Peter Guralnick's 'Sweet Soul Music' book, which I've returned to yet again after picking up his biog of Sam Cooke for all of £3 in Fopp today.
Musical Revelations of the week:
Maps - We Can Create - a fabulous electronic album that's simultaneously blatantly retro and one of the freshest sounding albums of the year.
Wilco - Shake It Off film - found on the DVD with 'Sky Blue Sky' this is a wonderful film with some outstanding performances of songs from said album.
Rufus Wainwright - Release The Stars - now I get it! It's not so much cluttered as layered. If you've already dismissed it, give it one more shot.
Sly & The Family Stone - Life - never heard this record before, but it was the only one of the splendid new, deluxe reissues series that Fopp had left in stock. A really engaging soul/funk album that I'm particularly glad I took a punt on.

Non-musical revelations of the week:
Peep Show - so they could maintain the high-standards, with the final episode the stand out for series 4. The pissing scene - ahem - was quite brilliant. Shame about the film, based on what I've read and heard about it.
A Bit Of Fry & Laurie - finally bought Series 3 and 4 and am once again enjoying the genius of these two. 'Hey Jude' sung with a helium voice was a particular highlight.
Andrew Collins' That's Me In The Corner - finished Andrew's final installment of his autobiography. This one deals with his time at the NME, Q, Empire and the like and while a little lower on the whimsical humour of the first two, is an absolute belter for any media obsessives like myself. There few genuinely feel-good autobiographical works out there, but all three of College's efforts fit into that category. I can't recommend them highly enough. The others, should you wish to explore further, are Where Did It All Go Right? and Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
I keep meaning to buy his biog of Billy Bragg, but never quite get round to it. Anyone wish to persuade me to do so?

Till tomorrow.

No comments: